FAQ For Parents...
Why is break dance worthwhile for my child?
Break dancing is great for kids who lack confidence and/or physical strength. It's a mix of acrobatics, dance and music and it takes practice, rather than strength, to master a move. We've found that our students who are smaller or are shy, particularly benefit from mastering a skill that other kids don't have.
In addition, MBD has found that breaking is a great way to encourage family bonding. Siblings who learn how to break together become more supportive of each other and can even compete or perform together with their family watching and cheering for them.
How can break dance further my child's future?
- Break dance extends into other styles of dance as it includes elements of musicality, acrobatics and strength and flexibility.
- MBD is committed to instilling discipline and elements of a healthy lifestyle in our students, which has proven to provide a good foundation for children in later years.
What is Hip Hop Culture?
Australia's break dance scene centers around strong body, mind and spirit. The leading break dancers brand themselves around healthy and positive lifestyles and competition. Breaking is a world championship sport, stemming from the funk and soul music of the 1970's. This style of music is still very much popular among the breaking community today with focus being on melody and funky breakdown beats rather than following the modern trend in mainstream and commercial "hip hop" music, which relies heavily on shocking lyrics.
Click here for a sample playlist of some of the most popular break beats bboys and bgirls love to get down to!!
Is break dance only for boys?
Girls break too! In fact, over the 8 years Melbourne Break Dance has been operating, we have found that girls tend to be faster at picking up the moves. Also, girls have a natural advantage when it comes to flexibility, which definitely proves to give them the edge with certain moves.
Classes are great, but is there more?
- MBD helps with the formation of crews/teams for competitions both locally and interstate. We have also created the very first break dance grading system, which allows students a clear pathway of progression, whilst consistently building their strength, flexibility, memory & improvisations skills.
- Performances, competitions and similar events make for a great family day out. Our students love to show off their new skills to their friends and families.
- Competing and performing has done amazing things to help build our students' confidence and social skills, such as teamwork and sportsmanship.